Go Green is a sustainable environmental program to revitalize the Philippine ecosystem and sustain the Philippine fashion accessories industry. It is an initiative of the Fashion Accessories Manufacturers And Exporters Foundation Philippines, Inc. (FAME Foundation) in partnership with the Department Of Environment And Natural Resources Region VII (DENR-VII).
Go Green Philippines was formally launched last October 2007 at the Manila FAME International Show in response to the need to preserve the natural environment. An initiative of Cebu FAME Foundation, Go Green has a 3-fold objective:
1. RECYCLE natural components to ensure continuing natural sources.
2. REPLENISH what is used to use what has been replenished.
3. REVITALIZE nature and breathe new life to the communities.
The areas to be covered by Go Green as proposed by the DENR Region VII are as follows:
1. Forest Management – planting of pangantuon (white wood) trees, as well as other trees such as ipil (brownish wood) and sibucao (red wood) trees, buri propagation and bamboo planting.
2. Coastal Environmental Program – protecting of coral reefs and establishing sea shell sanctuaries.
3. Livelihood Projects – helping rural communities through livelihood programs and skills training and education that can also support the fashion jewelry industry.
Currently in its first phase, Go Green is focused on forest management. The island of Cebu, from which most of the raw materials used in the Philippine fashion accessories industry are sourced, has a forestland of 142,000 hectares. However, only 7,100 hectares, a mere 5%, is covered with vegetation. The remaining 134,900 hectares are currently barren.
The DENR has set its target to increase the reforested area to 25,560 hectares, or 18%, by 2015. Cebu FAME Foundation aims to contribute to this goal by covering 100 hectares with lush tree plantations through the Go Green program.
The trees to be planted and cultivated are the wild mamalis (pangantoan) trees. A preferred source of white wood because they dye and shape with flawless precision, these trees are heavily used by the fashion accessories industry.
Go Green is seeking the support and involvement of the international community. This is why for a minimum purchase made by buyers from a FAME Foundation member, the member will donate 100 trees to the project in the name of the buyer.
Go Green is FAME Foundation’s way of contributing to a sustainable environment and promoting corporate social responsibility in the industry.
For more info please visit www.gogreenphilippines.com